Coventry has been home to three Cathedral’s in the last thousand years. Today, visitors see the New Cathedral (consecrated in 1962) built along sided the Ruins. Inside the New Cathedral are works of art, described as a ‘Casket of Jewels’, featuring works by some of the greatest artists of the 1950s and 60s including Einar Forseth, Ralph Beyer, Elisabeth Frink and Graham Sutherland.
On the 14 November 1940, the city of Coventry was devastated by bombing. The decision to rebuild the cathedral was taken the morning after its destruction. Rebuilding would not be an act of defiance, but rather a sign of faith, trust and hope for the future. This has led to the cathedral’s Ministry of Peace and Reconciliation, which has provided spiritual and practical support, in areas of conflict throughout the world.
We are a busy working cathedral, and host a yearlong programme of artistic and cultural events.
You are most welcome to visit this beautiful building.
Latest news from Coventry Cathedral
Light in the world Cathedrals will host dramatic darkness-into-light Advent processions this
Coventry Cathedral will mark the anniversary of the Coventry Blitz with a series of services
A number of our cathedrals will hold services including Southwark Cathedral where a
‘Weaving Hope’ a project between Coventry Cathedral and Coventry’s Ukrainian