Bradford Cathedral photo exhibition celebrates 50 years

Cathedral_Bradford5
07th January 2013

A new photographic exhibition to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the dedication of Bradford Cathedral’s new East End is opening shortly.
Bradford Cathedral is one of the most unusual but least known cathedrals in England and contains major work by one of the twentieth century’s most under-appreciated English architects, Sir Edward Maufe, who was also the architect of Guildford Cathedral. In 1940, Sir Edward produced pencil sketches of his proposals to extend and improve the facilities of the Cathedral, the former parish church of St Peter, Bradford, which was elevated to cathedral status with the creation of the Diocese of Bradford by Act of Parliament in 1918 and the appointment of the first bishop in 1920.
Due to World War II and post-war austerity, building work only started in the 1950s. The work on the East End was finished in 1963 and the area was dedicated in November of that year.
The exhibition in the cathedral contains archive photos and images of the cathedral and celebrates its past and present.
The exhibition is the first of several events in 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary.